3.01.2008

SteerMouse


SteerMouse is a great program that has really enhanced Leopard for me.  I was pondering getting a Mighty Mouse to replace my wireless mouse as it had extra customizable buttons, but this program completely changed my mind.  I use a Logitech MX700 wireless mouse and I've been a bit disappointed that I couldn't use the forward and back buttons for anything in Mac OS X.  Logitech doesn't support the MX710 keyboard/mouse combo in Mac, so I thought I was out of luck.  The other day, I remembered that I had used a program in the past to customize my mouse with my PowerBook; upon some research, I came across SteerMouse.  

I decided to give it a go, and I imediately fell in love.  Not only can I finally customize all my buttons, but it's given Spaces an entirely new functionality for me.  I use the forward and back keys to switch between my 3 Spaces (Internet, Art, School) effortlessly now, which has sped up my productivity amazingly.  Now I can switch between Word, PhotoShop, and Safari with two little clicks.  Yes, there are keyboard shortcuts (which are actually what I mapped to the mouse keys), but when I'm working with my mouse already in PhotoShop or Photo Professional, it works MUCH better.

Not only does it work, but it works so well, I don't think I'll ever drop the money on a Mighty Mouse now.  But, if I do, SteerMouse supports it as well, taking it beyond the functionality of Apple's software.  If you're a Mac user with  "Designed for Windows" mouse, give SteerMouse a go for the 30 day trial.  I was so impressed that I had no hesitations paying for it when the trial was up.

No comments:

Post a Comment