3.27.2008

.Mac and iLife Integration/Google Apps

So I bit the bullet and sprung for a .Mac account for my photography site. I had been using the .Mac trial for the past 60 days to back up settings and host a small gallery, so I knew what I was buying into. And I have to say, I'm very happy with it. iWeb is a great, simple, and fast program for building a website, and with 1-button publishing, updating my site couldn't be easier. With iPhoto, I can create any number of slick looking galleries (anyone seen the cool Carousel gallery feature?) and keep them free-standing, integrate them into my site (via iWeb), or even create users/passwords for individuals to access private galleries. I can do the same thing through Aperture for my professional photography (I manage my personal pictures through iPhoto and professional ones through Aperture). This feature will be great when I launch my photography company. I'll be able to go to an event with cards that have a generic username and password and pass that out so people can access the event's pictures. Or, I can take e-mail addresses and send out specific usernames/passwords to each person so they can see only their own pictures. It's all so simple to do, super-fast with 1-click uploading, and the results look great! Add to that, you can use your own domain name for your .Mac site, and it's suddenly very professional too. I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface of what I can do with iLife and .Mac; I can't wait to see what else is in store as I dig deeper!

Google Apps is something I've been playing around with for a while now (in fact, I purchased my domain with GoDaddy through them), and it's been indispensable. I have Gmail with my own domain name (which forwards a copy of every email to my cell phone instantly), a nice looking start page, and an online calendar (synced with iCal via Spanning Sync). Not to mention, Google Docs, if I ever need 'em. I have all this (plus this blog) under one roof because .Mac doesn't take full control of the domain, just the 'www' CNAME. It's been a long time since I've worked on DNS side of building a website, so this is all (re)new to me, and I love it. The last site I had built was hosted by the registrar, and I couldn't change anything to use stuff outside of my own site. Being able to have the best of several different worlds under one domain is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment