3.19.2008

Booyah, T-Mobile!

So I got around T-Mobile's crippling of the Nokia 5300! I can now use Salling Clicker, Opera Mini, Google Maps, and whatever other programs I want without the connectivity being blocked. I hacked the phone's serial number (not IMEI) using NSS and ran the Nokia Software Update (through VMWare Fusion) and now I'm running a "generic" 5300. Debranding the phone unlocked plenty of little gems for me; EDGE now works at full speed, T-Mobile was hiding an e-mail client (along with other programs), and there were quite a few settings locked out that I can access now. Oh, and reception is way better now too; it also unlocked extended roaming capabilities (ie. not blocking AT&T access in certain areas). The downside? Um... Well, I can't access MyFaves on the phone, but I can manage those online, so no biggie. Now, if I can just get the e-mail client to finish synchronizing, I'll be pretty damn happy! lol

For the brave, check this link for instructions. Just be sure to read and have an understanding before diving in. And understand that you will be voiding your warranty with T-Mobile.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great, but could I by chance get more details how to do this. I fear messing up the phone if I did it incorrectly. I too, was attempting to get Salling Clicker to work. (and I could give rat's ass about my faves).

    Thank you.

    dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out the forum here. Make sure you read through it and have a good understanding before you actually dive into it. And be aware that you are voiding your warranty with T-Mobile. Oh, and make sure that after you apply the new firmware, you do a factory reset in NSS (you'll know what I'm talking about when you start reading the forum). I forgot that step and freaked out thinking my phone was FUBAR! lol

    ReplyDelete