9.11.2008

Quick Zune Tips

So Zune 3.0 is coming out next week. Not only does this mean new Zunes, but it also means a software update for existing hardware out there. I thought I'd toss out a couple cool tips as we near the launch of Z3:

1) Adding Poster/Case Art to Videos: If you're like me, you've loaded up your Zune movies. Coming to Zune from an iPod touch, I really despised the fact that Zune Desktop doesn't allow you to modify the video file to add "album art". Ironically enough, iTunes is my work around. To do this, you'll need to add the video file to your iTunes library. This is easy enough if you aren't converting to WMV. I convert my files to MP4s or M4Vs with Quicktime, so it's compatible with both iTunes and Zune. Anyway, once imported, you can right click the file in iTunes and go to "Get Info". Go to Album Artwork and past in your artwork. As long as Zune Desktop is monitoring the folder the video file is in, it'll reflect the album artwork. From there, I right click the file in Zune Desktop, click "Edit", and input the type, release date, and summary info. It makes for a much nicer (and more "official") experience when using your Zune.

2) DVD Quality to TV: This tip actually made me feel stupid when I figured it out. Be warned, it'll make purchased videos take up more space! In Zune Desktop, go to Settings. Click on Device, and Conversion Settings. Under Video, click "Optimize video for TV output". This is turned off by default, and you'll notice a huge bump in quality when viewing your purchased videos on your TV.

And there you have it. A couple quick tips for working with video on your Zune. Perhaps 3.0 will allow you to natively add album art to videos, negating tip #1. We'll see Tuesday! If you have any other Zune tips, drop me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment