9.06.2008

Podcasts

In my job, I spend literally hours on end each day in the car. I long ago bored of listening to just music, and the radio in my car doesn't work, so I can't listen to talk radio. When I had my iPod touch, I listened to audiobooks. When I gave that up, I was using my Sansa Connect, which couldn't listen to audiobooks. Upon getting my Zune 80 a few months ago, I decided to give podcasts a go. The Zune software made it easy to find, add, and manage podcasts, and I found a couple that sounded good. I started with the Tech Guy netcast, with Leo Laporte, and the ForceCast. I was hooked. I currently listen to 21 podcasts! And yes, I spend enough time in the car to keep current on all of them.

So what is a podcast? Think of it as a recorded talk radio show centered around a specific genre. The shortest ones I listen to are 15 minutes long, while the longest can be upwards of two and a half hours. Mine primarily center around technology (go figure) and Star Wars (I am a dork, after all). I also have several horse-related shows in there too. But you can find podcasts ranging from childcare, to cooking, to security, and everything in between. I just came across a hospital one and a philosophy podcast. It's awesome, and a great way to stay current with news and knowledge. And you're not limited to audio; there are plenty of video podcasts out there too. I subscribe to several G4TV podcasts that highlight shows that I don't get to watch (since I don't get G4). Podcasts auto-update, so you get new stuff every time you sync. They require no maintenance beyond adding, and perhaps removing, the podcast.

Podcasts (or netcasts, as they're called on the TWiT network) have really made my commute an enjoyable part of my job. I actually look forward to longer rides now, just so I can listen to more podcasts. If you've never listened to a podcast, give it a go. Jump into iTunes (or whatever you media management software) and find the podcast section. Add a couple, and give it a week to see how it all works. They require no maintenance beyond adding, and perhaps removing, the podcast.

If you listen to podcasts, which ones are your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment