6.13.2015

Google Photos

 
Google Photos is pretty awesome. With a few caveats.

I'm exporting and uploading quite a bit of my Lightroom catalog, and it's handling it pretty flawlessly. I point the desktop uploader to a folder ("Upload" on my desktop), export perfectly-fine-for-screens versions of my photos to that folder, they get uploaded. Done. Plus, it's making neat little collages and grouping people and things together. It's great. I had previously been using, and still use as it's full-res, Microsoft OneDrive for photo backup on my devices, but it's not nearly as elegant or easy to use. G+ Photos did part of this as well, but the new Google Photos is nearly seamless and dead simple. Seriously, if you haven't tried it yet, fire up the new Photos app on your phone/tablet or go to photos.google.com and try the new search functions. It's pretty amazing.

Now the caveats I spoke of: It's not as full-featured as G+ Photos was. You can't fix misgrouped faces or items (which isn't a huge deal, as that only affects search). You can't edit a date/time if it's off. And you can't use the photo editor online unless you put the photos into a G+ post first. These are all simple things to fix, and I'm sure they will down the road.

Unlimited storage of my photos online (I went with the 16MP/1080P limit because I don't need my full res stuff online like that)? Yes please! Easy way to upload from all my devices? Absolutely! For someone like me, this is so awesome. All my photos. From all my devices. Everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment