6.18.2009

Microsoft Security Essentials

Codenamed project Morro, the free successor to the popular Windows Live OneCare will be released for public beta on June 23rd. I’ve been using it under Windows 7 for several days now, and the experience is consistent and comfortable, requiring minimal user interaction for operations. It’s very hard to gauge the effectiveness of an anti-virus program, but so far, so good. I have to get any warnings or alerts from the application, though whether or not that’s an indicator of it’s effectiveness or my safe surfing habbits is up for debate. Short of intentionally contracting a virus on my system, I’m not quite sure how to test it. I will say that when coupled with Windows Defender and Firewall, I feel completely at ease; more so than I have with other alternatives (AVG Free, for example). Again, this is more due to my trust in Microsoft (don’t laugh) to protect than some smaller company. The UI needs a bit of work, in my opinion, to bring it up to the polish of Windows 7, but since you rarely have to interact with it (it’s constantly running in the background with schedule full scans, as one would expect), it’s not that much of a caveat. What is a bit of concern is that Microsoft is only insuring the product for $5 worth of damage if it does not work. As I never really read the TOS of other anti-virus programs, I’m not sure if this is on par or not. The TOS could change with a wide-release, so perhaps this is nothing to worry about. I eagerly await June 23rd to test the public beta release, and will update soon thereafter.

No comments:

Post a Comment