8.10.2008

PSP Review

So in going through some old boxes out in the garage, I made a startling discovery: a PSP with a couple movies and a game. Where they came from, I have no idea. I have a few theories, but they all date back to before I left my ex-wife (it was in a box that I had never gone through before). At any rate, I've wanted one for years, and though it isn't the nice, slim 2000 version, it's still pretty damn cool. I haven't hacked it for homebrew simply because it seems to be a daunting and time-consuming task. It serves me just fine right now anyway.

For the movies, I have Final Fantasy: Advent Children and Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (AKA Knocking on Heaven's Door). They look great on the screen, and while I wish they had special features, the chapter stops alone make them better than ripped movies. On to the games!

LocoRoco is INSANELY addictive. From the gameplay to the music, I can't put it down. You have a little fat ball guy that eats things to get fatter and can split into smaller guys. You can then reconstitute into the big guy again. You don't move him at all; you move the world. Using the L and R keys, you tilt the world. Use them both to "flick" the world, effectively making him jump. I know it sounds bizarre, and it is at first. But if you have a PSP and haven't picked up this game, put it on your list. For those that have ever played Katamari, you'll fall in love with this blatantly Japanese game in the same way.

I also have Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. Now, admittedly, I haven't played FFVII, but I do love Final Fantasy games. I know the story line to the original FFVII and have watched Advent Children several times. Crisis Core takes place prior to the original game, and feeds into a lot of the backstory. The controls are intuitive for any Final Fantasy gamer, and the graphics are great. My one gripe is the lack of turn-based combat. While it does enhance the game somewhat, I am very used to being able to put the game down for a couple of minutes without getting my a$$ handed to me in the interim. lol Pausing works just fine, but it's something I'm having to get used to. I highly recommend this game for any Final Fantasy fan with a PSP (though you probably already have it).

Well, that's it for the reviews this post. Watch next weekend for a Clone Wars review; I'll be seeing the new Star Wars flick this Friday when it comes out! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment