6.23.2007

So Begins the Saga of Vista

So I got Vista yesterday; just Home Basic as Sophia won't support Aero. Come to find out AFTER formatting and installing that there are NO Vista drivers for this laptop; the screen was all wonky, no sound, etc. I searched and searched for solutions to no avail. Finally, I decided I would take a long shot and just tell it to search for drivers in the old HP directory. Now, mind you, these are OLD drivers from when this laptop was originally made 4 years ago. I figured if Windows Update and HP say there are no drivers, these most likely won't work. Well, they did. I have my full screen with 3D graphics and glorious sound! I have yet to run into any program compatibility issues. Granted, I had to clean install, so I'm having to reinstall everything, but so far so good. Sophia is faster now, and I love the interface. I'm just tickled that I beat both Microsoft and HP by using really old drivers. lol

Oh! And I figured out what my freezing issue is; it has nothing to do with the hard drive. It's a power issue. I found my old 120 GB USB hard drive and used that to back my music and pictures up. As soon as I plugged it in Sophia froze. Restart, freeze. Rinse, repeat. I can run it if I have NO other periphals connected pulling power; no WiFi card, no external keyboard or mouse, no Bluetooth, etc. I even have to pop the DVD-ROM out since if it spins, it pulls power. I'm going out and getting a powered USB hub this afternoon, so that should eliminate the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment